Chapter 8: Photosynthesis
- What is an autotroph? Heterotroph?
- What organelle does photosynthesis take place in?
- Why are the inside of leafs spongy (air spaces)?
- Why were the first land plants restricted to moist environments?
- Similarities and differences between cellular respiration and photosynthesis.
- What is the differences between the light reactions and the Calvin Cycle (“dark reactions”)?
- Photosynthesis is an anabolic process. What does that mean?
- What is the general chemical equation for photosynthesis?
- Which wavelength is longer: red or violet?
- Why is the sky blue?
- What is the difference between chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b?
- What are carotenoids?
- Why do fall trees turn yellow, orange, or red?
- Why are plants green?
- How do C3, C4, and CAM plants differ?
- What environments would you likely find C3 plants? C4 plants? CAM plants?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of C3 plants? C4 plants? CAM plants?